Your eyes may start showing your age before the rest of your face does, but with a few tricks, makeup at 50 can make you look years and years younger. There are several easy ways to give yourself an instant eye lift without resorting to surgery.
Step 1: Prepare your “canvas” and tools
To get great-looking eyes, you’ve got to start with great-looking eyebrows. They’re the frame for your eyes, and when they look great your whole face will look a lot better. Follow a step-by-step make up how to, and start out with a great canvas to lift your eyes and minimize the appearance of age.
- Prep. Start out by applying a moisturizer around your eyes. Choose something lightweight and non-greasy, and use a delicate hand to avoid getting something in your eye. Anastasia Soare, from Anastasia Beverly Hills, uses moisturizers with botanical ingredients to prep her clients. Look for a moisturizer with natural antioxidants that will fight aging and perk up your eyes.
- Choose the right tools. “Brows are the easiest way to give yourself an instant eye-lift,” says Anastasia, who advises using good tool-selection to craft perfect eyebrows. She says fuller eyebrows, not finer brows, will make your eyes look more lifted. Use powder or an eyebrow pencil to fill in thin areas in your eyebrows, which can be affected by thinning just like the hair on your head. A stencil can help you get a perfect brow shape to frame your face, and make brow maintenance much easier.
- Add color. The color of your eyebrows can make or break your makeup. Brows that are too dark or too light will take away from your overall look. Always make up your eyebrows in a shade that matches the hair on your head.
Non-surgical Eye Lift
Anti-aging make up isn’t your only weapon in the battle against Nature. Under-eye strips that lift the eye will instantly erase the years. Made by Eye Secret, the clear strips are placed in the corner of the eye to lift up the lids and diminish the sagging and wrinkles that age eyes. Once you learn how to apply the strips, you can use them every day to give yourself an instant eye lift before you apply makeup. For over 50 women, Eye Secret is a great surgery alternative.
The strips will keep working for up to 12 hours after application, according to a spokesperson for the company.
Eye Makeup for Over 50 Women
Use makeup tricks to make your eyes pop and make them appear younger. There are a lot of little things you can do to hide shadows and wrinkles, and instantly lift those sagging eyes.
Step 2: Minimize shadows and sagging
Concealer. Add a dab of concealer under both eyes to minimize shadows and sagging. Choose a moisturizing concealer that won’t dry up and flake away from skin. Instead of a concealer, a tinted moisturizer that keeps skin nourished may work just as well for the under-eye area.
Step 3: Ditch the dark liner
Liner. Makeup at 50 isn’t like makeup at 20. You’ve got to get rid of the dark eyeliners, and look for lighter shades instead. Choose something with a bit of sparkle and shimmer to it to draw more light to the eyes, and instantly lift them up. The lighter liner will make your eyes look wider and whiter, diminishing puffiness. For blue eyes, choose champagne-colored or white liner shades. Green-eyed gals should gravitate toward pinker tones to bright up their eye color, and brown-eyed girls will wake up their eyes if they choose silvery or blue shades.
Step 4: Make your eyes POP using shadow in the right tones
Shadow. When applying eyeshadow, go all the way up to the crease of the eye. If you put a darker color in the crease and a lighter color over the lid, you’ll immediately create a shadow effect that helps make your eyes look bigger and livelier.
Colors. Avoid very dark colors when applying your eyeshadow. Darker shades have no place in the makeup over 50 toolkit, because they’ll only make wrinkles stand out. Choose light shades with a little shimmer to them instead, and always apply in a sweeping motion moving toward the brow bone.
Step 5: Blend and add the finishing touch – mascara
Finishing the Masterpiece
Great “makeup at 50” and beyond has lots in common with “makeup at any age.” After you’ve got all your eye makeup applied:
- Blend it. You want a finished, soft look that blending will help you achieve. You never need very bright shades or a ton of makeup to hide signs of aging. Always use a clean brush to blend your eye makeup and get rid of any excess that will cake up and settle in wrinkles.
- To complete the look, apply a little mascara and curl your eyelashes. Curled, upward-moving lashes make your eyes look more open, and they help to hide upper eye wrinkles to boot.