We put together some of our favorite painless ways to feel thinner, look thinner, and be thinner.
- Don’t hide your “skinny” clothes. Hang them where you see them every day if you need a little reminder not to overeat.
- Don’t squeeze into a smaller size. To look slimmer, clothing should skim the body without hugging it tightly. Anywhere clothing gaps or pulls will call attention to that spot.
- Detox from diet soda. Researchers have determined that diet soft-drink use is a marker for obesity. One theory being researched is that the average diet soda drinker ends up eating the saved calories and then some.
- Drink Green Tea. Studies suggest that the phytochemicals in green tea can rev up the body’s calorie-burning engine temporarily. It’s also a calorie-free replacement for diet soda or high calorie cocktails.
- Meet me in downward dog. The Journal of the American Dietetic Association published a study that showed that women who practice yoga tend to weigh less. Possible reasons: the self-awareness yogis develop translates to more mindful eating.
- Chew strong mint-flavored gum when you’re at a high risk for snacking. It overpowers other flavors and food won’t taste good.
- Consider going meatless one or more days a week. Vegetarians weigh up to 20% less than meat eaters. One possibility is that whole grain and legumes-based diets are high in fiber and low in fat. Fiber fills you up and adds fewer calories. Most Americans get only half the recommended amount.
- Make meals last at least 20 minutes. Chew slowly and put down the fork every few bites. Eating too fast blocks the body’s fullness signals and causes overeating.
- Lose 10 pounds in a year without dieting by burning an extra 100 calories every day. That’s the equivalent of walking one mile (about 20 minutes) a day.
- Don’t forget the shoes! Fabulous accessories steal the show. Shoes, handbags, scarves and jewelry provide great camouflage.?
other blog entries from »