Turning 60 is a milestone worth marking,
an excuse a cause for celebrating.
How best to celebrate such an event is personal and unique to each of us. However, I’ve got some tips and ideas to help you create your own fabulous occasion.
4 Tips for a Birthday You’ll Love
Tip #1) It’s your birthday so do what will most please you!
Tip #2) This is not the time to wait for someone else to figure it out or to hope or hint.
Tip #3) Get clear about how you want to celebrate your birthday. What lights you up and makes you smile just thinking about it? What calls to your heart? What do you really, really want to do for this special occasion?
Tip #4) Do what it takes to make that happen. This may mean telling people what you decidedly do not want. This may mean asking others for what you do want. It may mean planning or throwing or hosting the occasion yourself. Whatever it takes, do it!
19 Ways to Celebrate
To get your creative juices going, here are some ways other women have celebrated their 60th birthdays. (Special thanks to the sassy, wise, and creative women at Savoring Your Sixties’ page on Facebook for many of these great suggestions and for inspiring me to write this post.)
How about doing your own version of one of these?
1) Rent a mustang convertible, pop in 60′s music, and head to the beach and hamburger stand to hang out.
2) Getaway with girlfriends for a day, a weekend or a week. You could go antiquing, to the beach, the big city, wine country, or someplace exotic depending on what suits your interests and budget.
3) Gather with your family. A day at your place? Rent a house somewhere fun for a week? Take a vacation together?
4) Invite your friends, new and old, to a luncheon. Ask each person to express in their own way (poetry, singing, prose, artwork, stories, etc) the positive aspects of reaching this age.
5) Throw yourself a birthday party. Make it whatever kind of party you’ll most enjoy.
6) Do something you’ve always wanted to do but haven’t.
7) Have a grown-up girls’ slumber party at someone’s home or a hotel. Lavish yourselves with food, drinks, laughter, and conversation.
Do a girlfriends’ spa day with pedicures, manicures, massages, and other pampering treatments.
9) Go on retreat. Give yourself time to connect with yourself.
10) Throw yourself a weekend-long birthday party with your dearest friends, some of whom haven’t yet met but have heard about each other for years.
11) Gather with high school friends and celebrate your 60th birthdays together.
12) Get a fresh new look. Any or all of these could do it: a new haircut or hair color, a trip to a make-up artist, an appointment with an image consultant, or a visit with a free personal shopper for new clothes.
13) Have cake with friends and throw water balloons.
14) Host a Saturday potluck with close friends, 60′s music, and conversation.
15) Take a trip by yourself or with others to someplace you most want to go.
16) Challenge yourself physically. Run a 10K. Learn to dance. Take a new kind of exercise class. Hike longer or more vigorously than you’re used to.
17) Do something you’ve never done before.
18) Host an “opening the door to a new decade” catered dinner at your home.
19) Throw a 60′s dance party.
However you choose to celebrate your 60th birthday, I hope you have a special and memorable experience. Happy Birthday!
What other ideas do you have for celebrating 60?