Choosing the right shampoo for grey hair is a key part of keeping your grey hair color bright and beautiful.
When shopping for shampoos and conditioners, look for the words “moisturizing” and “clarifying.” Ladies Home Journal hair expert Mark Garrison says products with those characteristics will help keep your grey hair coloring soft, shiny and your color, pure.
“Hair’s condition is vital to keeping silver hair looking good,” Garrison writes in a LHJ piece on loving your grey hair. “Though gray hair does tend to be drier and coarser than hair that has retained its natural pigment, the good news is that gray hair can retain softness and manageability with the right care.”
He recommends Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo ($10.50), Artec White Violet Color Shampoo ($15.50) and Phytargent Whitening Shampoo ($20), which is also recommended by Vibrant Nation’s hair care expert, Lois Joy Johnson. These shampoos contain bluing tint, which helps prevent your grey hair color from yellowing.
Vibrant Nation members shared their favorite shampoo for grey hair back in January. The list included:
- Matrix Essentials Solutions So Silver
- ShiKai Color Reflect Shampoo works well for platinum hair, says Vibrant Nation member Deanie
- Aveda’s Blue Malva shampoo and conditioner
- Pantene’s Silver Expressions shampoo and conditioner
- Prosante Revitalizing Shampoo and Prosante Lightweight Conditioner, available from Shaklee distributors
- Jhirmack’s silver brightening shampoo
- Abba Pure Moisture shampoo
- Kiss My Face or Nature’s Gate shampoos and conditioners if you, like VB member lisaforman, are worried about sodium laurel sulfate or its derivatives
Regardless of your brand choice, Garrison suggests you mix these special shampoos with an equal part of regular, moisturizing shampoo at first. Experiment with the ratio until you get the right mix for your hair. If your hair gets a purplish cast, he says you should switch to a clarifying and moisturizing shampoo and alternate formulas.
Another approach we’ve recommended in the past is to use these “blue” shampoos as needed, whenever your hair starts to look yellow or dull. For some people this will mean once a week, while others may only need to use it twice a month.
As for conditioning, you’ll want to sign up for regular salon conditioning treatments, Garrison says, and perform a once-weekly deep conditioning at home.
For extremely dry hair, you might try a restorative mask. Masks are so powerful, a small amount will restore your hair’s softness and shine in minutes.
We recommend Neutrogena’s Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask, which can be purchased online or at your local grocery store.