When you’re looking for a good anti wrinkle face cream, it’s easy to get caught up in the hype, promises and buzzwords used on fancy labels. Those labels often come with high prices, even though some of the most effective anti-wrinkle face cream may also be the most affordable.
Two of those common buzzwords are collagen and elastin. According to Lois Joy Johnson, author of VN’s Skin Care and Cosmetic Product Guide For Women Over 50, collagen and elastin are “the fibers that make up the support structure of the skin — like the springs and stuffing in your mattress. They diminish with time, age, and estrogen loss, causing wrinkles and expression lines to deepen and skin to sag.”
What destroys collagen?
If you want to look great at any age, it’s important to protect your skin and avoid collagen and elastin. Of course normal aging is detrimental to the skin, but the following factors reputedly destroy collagen and elastin:
1. Sun tanning and sun exposure – UVA rays affects collagen through a process called photo-aging. Although the net effect these rays have on your skin depends on factors such as skin color and degree of exposure, even limited exposure over a long period can cause collagen damage.
2. Free radicals – These are molecules missing an electron that attack healthy skin cells to steal their electrons, leading to a damaging chain reaction called oxidation. This causes loss of firmness, wrinkles, lines, and uneven skin tone.
3. A fat or sugar-filled diet – A healthy diet is as vital to good looking skin as it is a healthy body.
4. Cigarette smoking – Smoking kills off the ascorbic acid molecule vital for healthy skin so if you’re determined to continue smoking, consider taking a Vitamin C supplement.
5. Alcohol consumption – Too much alcohol destroys important nutrients, including Vitamin C. Go easy on the cocktails, and wait at least 2 hours after taking supplements before consuming alcohol.
Finding a good anti wrinkle face cream that will help protect and rebuild collagen and elastin may take some time. Look for something with peptides, Johnson advises, because “These chains of small amino acids or mini-proteins stimulate new collagen production while helping to prevent further breakdown and increase the repair of capillaries.
“Anything that rejuvenates collagen and elastin like vitamin C or retinol is your friend.”
For great tips about the best anti wrinkle face creams that have worked for women like you, download our free report, 5 Anti-Wrinkle Creams Most Recommended by Women Over 50.