If you have a medical need for breast reduction surgery, it is possible to have your insurance cover the procedure.If your reasons for wanting breast reduction surgery are purely cosmetic, there are still ways to finance the procedure to make less of an impact on your wallet.
If your breast reduction surgery is a medical need, the first thing you want to do is check with your insurance company to find out if any or all or part of the procedure can be covered. (You should also check to be sure you know whether your surgeon is in-network or out-of-network for your policy, as that will greatly affect your breast reduction cost.) It’s likely that your insurance carrier will have specific criteria you must meet — with the help of your chosen surgeon — to ensure your breast reduction cost is covered by insurance.
According to plasticsurgeryinfo.com, here are some of the most common criteria:
- Your plastic surgeon must estimate that at least 500 grams (one half pound) from each breast
- Your surgeon must show that you have disabling symptoms directly attributable to your large breasts
- Your plastic surgeon must show that you have tried everything under your power to resolve the condition yourself
- Your plastic surgeon must provide photos documenting the need for breast reduction surgery
- You must be at or near your ideal body weight
If you’re having breast reduction surgery for cosmetic reasons only, you’ll want to talk to your doctor about the total breast reduction cost, including your stay in the hospital or surgery center, anesthesia, and followup visits. Knife Coach Wendy Lewis, author of Vibrant Nation’s guide to Cosmetic Procedures and Plastic Surgery after 50, estimates the total breast reduction cost to be between $5,000 and $10,000.In some instances, your surgeon may be able to set up a payment plan to ease the impact of your breast reduction cost.
To learn more about breast reduction surgery, including breast reduction cost and breast reduction scars, download our FREE white paper, 5 keys to successful breast reduction surgery after 50.