Identifying the best hairstyles for thinning hair is a great first step to having great hair after 50. But once you have chosen the right cut for you, using the right styling tricks for fine hair is the next, crucial step.
Celebrity hair and makeup stylist Jim Crawford shared with me his professional, behind-the-scenes styling secrets for thinning hair. Women suffering from hair loss due to hormonal changes during menopause, take note!
How to style thinning hair: 6 tips from a pro stylist
- Quickly rough dry your hair with your blow-dryer on a high heat setting using your hands and fingers to lift and move the hair. You want to be fast as possible and not use any brushes.
- Your goal is to eliminate 80 % of the water in your hair before applying styling product. The reason? If you leave water in your hair when you apply volumizers, the result is diluted.
- Don’t worry at this point about frizz or perfection, just get it nearly dry.
- Then spray on a styling lotion or a mousse to build in body. These formulas are light, non-greasy and provide just enough lift and texture. You must avoid all waxes, gels, pastes, polishers, styling creams, shine boosting mists and silicone serums. They will weigh your hair down, make it oily and revealing sparse areas. Even if the label on one of these seven products says volumizing or for fine thin hair or body-boosting, ignore them — they are not for you.
- Finish the look by continuing to rough dry once the styling spray or mousse is in you hair. Then just polish the ends with a round or flat brush as a final step in your blow-out.
- An alternative finish is to continue to blow dry using your hands to direct the hair in the direction you want it to go. When your hair is totally dry, very lightly and quickly run a flat iron or a barrel iron from mid-hair shaft to ends only. Don’t run the iron over and over through the hair or linger over a spot.
What hair styling tricks do you use to style fine hair or thinning hair? Share them in the comments section below!
Lois Joy Johnson is the author of the Vibrant Nation beauty guide, Great Hair After 50: Hip hairstyles, best products for healthy hair, coloring secrets, whether (and how) to go gray, managing fine or frizzy hair, and solutions for thinning hair and hair loss.