Your diet can do more to hurt – or help – your skin than even the best anti-wrinkle face cream on the market. To make sure your diet isn’t aging your skin prematurely, learn what not to eat…and which foods you can eat to reduce visible wrinkles.
How skin ages
Genetics and lifestyle certainly play a part in the visible wrinkles on your face, but your diet contributes as well. The foods you eat might actually be aging your face prematurely, and even the best anti-wrinkle face cream formulas might be unable to undo the damage.
What not to eat
Certain foods should be avoided at all costs, because they’ll undo all your good anti-wrinkle work.
- Sugar. Natural sugar has a dehydrating effect, and makes small blood vessels widen – this makes it a nightmare for your face. When you eat lots of sugar, it can cause discoloration, wrinkles and even impair your body’s natural rejuvenating capabilities. Foods that are converted into sugar, such as rice, pasta and bread are just as damaging if you eat too much of them. These foods speed up the breakdown of collagen and elastin in your skin.
- Alcohol. It’s well-known that alcohol is bad for the skin, but learn why to give yourself incentive to refrain from that extra glass of red wine. Alcohol creates wrinkles, broken veins and flushed skin – it’s a nightmare that no anti-wrinkle face cream can fix. Alcohol also interferes with your body’s ability to metabolize Vitamin A, which is necessary for your body’s ability to produce collagen. Drink lots of water between cocktails, and try to opt for diluted drinks (like a white wine spritzer), if you’re determined to have a libation.
- Red meat. Protein is always good, and red meat is packed with it. But it’s much better for your skin if you get your protein from fish, white means like chicken or turkey, and beans. Red meats like bacon and sausage have a high level of saturated fats that encourage wrinkles.
What you should eat instead
Of course, you do have to eat something. Certain foods can be as effective at fighting aging as the most expensive anti-wrinkle face cream formulas. Eliminate the bad stuff in your diet, and replace it with foods that keep you younger longer:
- Berries. Fresh berries protect your skin against free radicals that age the skin. They’re packed with antioxidants. Skin experts say that the darker the berry, the better it is for your skin. They’re packed with Vitamin C, which naturally improves skin elasticity.
- Spinach. Green vegetables, especially spinach, are rich in Vitamin B that reduces inflammation to keep your skin looking even and healthy.
- Tomatoes. Eat carrots and tomatoes to slow down the aging process and protect yourself from the harsh rays of the sun. Carrots make your skin look more radiant as well.
Discover what you really need to know about anti aging skin products. Download our FREE report 5 Anti Wrinkle Face Creams Most Recommended By Women Over 50.