8 Ways to Beat Hot Flashes in the Summer Heat
Summer in my part of the country is a drippy mix of 90+% humidity and 90-degree heat. That’s a recipe for disaster when hot flashes already have your body on simmer!
Hot flashes are caused by roller coaster estrogen levels. Up down, up down. And that downswing is the switch that turns the heat on!
So what’s a girl to do when estrogen swings meet hot weather? Here are 8 tips to cool you down when Mother Nature turns up the heat:
- Try to notice what triggers your hot flashes and avoid those things. Possible culprits include spicy foods, alcohol, caffeine, stress, or being in a hot place. Why? Because all of these things can cause blood vessels to dilate. This makes hot flashes worse. A tracking journal can help pinpoint problem times.
- Dress in layers so you can peel off clothes when your “personal day at the beach” starts.
- Stay inside with the AC on or use fans when needed.
- Try taking slow, deep breaths when a flash starts. Paced respiration has been shown to decrease the severity of hot flashes by 44%. Read more about that here.
- Don’t make matters worse with your sunscreen. Avoid the sunscreen chemicals oxybenzone and avobenzone, synthetic estrogens that penetrate the skin and can disrupt the hormone system. Look for active ingredients zinc oxide and titanium oxide.
- Try acupuncture. It’s been shown to be beneficial for helping with hot flashes. Researchers think it works by increasing production of feel-good endorphins, which may stabilize the temperature control system of the body.
- Exercise regularly (but not within 3 hours of bedtime). This has been shown to improve hot flashes in 40% of women.
- Go natural. Herbs like chasteberry and black cohosh may help even out estrogen swings. Other options like evening primrose oil or clary sage oil may also be helpful. Ask your pharmacist or health care provider if these are safe for you.
You may want to consider hormone testing if your symptoms are severe. Tests can help pinpoint your exact imbalance so you and your health care provider can create a plan to maximize your mojo during perimenopause and menopause.
For more great info and conversation about all things menopause-related, please join me in the Hormone Harmony Club on Facebook. You can request membership here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/hormoneharmonyclub/.
About Dr. Anna
Dr. Anna Garrett is a pharmacist and menopause expert who helps women who are struggling with symptoms of perimenopause and menopause find natural hormone balancing solutions so they can rock their mojo through midlife and beyond. But her clients would tell you that her real gift is helping them reclaim pieces of themselves they thought were gone forever.
Dr. Anna offers a complimentary 30-minute Get Acquainted Call to anyone who'd like to learn more about working 1-1 with her. You can schedule that at your convenience by clicking here.
Please contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.